Aval/ Rice flakes Payasam. I used Red Rice flakes which is store bought. You can also try with white either thin or thick rice flakes. This is one of the recipes which are made for Lord Krishna on Janmashtami. Since this is my first Krishna Jayanthi which I am celebrating alone, I made a simple payasam and wanted to share for the beginners as like me. Amma don’t have the custom of celebrating Krishna jayanthi, so I don’t know what to do for this occasion. I went through the Internet for the recipe and tried it for the first time. It was delicious and divine.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10-15 minutes
¼ cup Aval/Red Rice flakes (thin/thick)
3 cups of whole milk
4-5 tbsp sugar
How to make it
- In a pan heat ghee and fry cashews or badam till golden brown. Add raisin and fry. Keep aside.
- In the same pan roast aval for some time. Cool at room temp and powder it coarsely.
- Heat whole milk in medium flame. Crush elachi and add to the milk.
- Add the powdered aval to the boiling milk. Allow to boil in medium flame.
- Add sugar and mix well. Cook till the aval turns soft.
- Garnish with roasted cashews and raisin.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and serve hot or cold.