Are u looking for a different side dish or gravy recipe for idli and dosa? I have a new recipe to satisfy your need… I used the store bought boondhi which lessen my cooking time. You can even make ur own boondhi which needs much time to do. If u has excess of boondhi in home, try making this delicious recipe and serve with idli or dosa.
This is an apt combo for dosa especially than the idlis. I used coconut paste to get the thick version of gravy. Coconut milk can also be used or even kasa kasa (poppy seeds) or cashew pastes are sufficient to make this kuruma. Boondi which is added in the kuruma absorbs water and bulges in size. So make the gravy thinner than the usual kuruma recipe. Now, to the recipe…
Preparation time: 5mins
Cooking time: 15-20 mins
2 green chillies
½ cup boondhi
1tsp ginger garlic paste
1tsp chilli powder
1 ½ tsp coriander powder
½ tsp turmeric powder
Salt (to taste)
3-4 tsp thick coconut paste
2 cups of water
2-3 tsp Oil
1 bay leaf
1 inch cinnamon stick
Coriander leaves (to garnish)
How to make it
- Finely chop the onions and tomatoes. Slit the green chillies. Make a thick paste of coconut and set aside.
- In a kadai heat oil and roast bay leaf, cinnamon and cardamom. Add the finely chopped onions.
- Sauté the onions till translucent and then add ginger garlic paste along with green chillies. Cook till the raw smell leaves.
- Then add tomatoes and cook further. Then add the spice powders (chili, coriander, turmeric powder). Mix well.
- Add water and make like gravy. Check for salt. Allow it to boil and blend the masalas together.
- Then add kara boondhi to the boiling gravy and keep for 2-3 mins.
- Add the coconut paste and blend well. Keep for 1-2 mins and switch off the stove.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with dosa.