On to the recipe, this is one of those dishes that come in handy when you are in a rush and want something quick. Goes well with rice or chappathis. Learned this wonderful dish from mom(ofcourse she did not add the brussel sprouts). Leave the potatoes out if you make this for rice and add a few more cloves of garlic. Pressure Pan/Cooker comes handy.
Brinjal Potato Curry
1. 1 Big Potato chopped to cubes
2. 4 Medium Sized Brinjals chopped fine
3. 4 Brussel Sprouts chopped
4. 2 Medium sized Yellow Onions chopped fine
5. 4-6 garlic cloves chopped
6. 1/2 tbsp sambhar powder / Chilli powder
7. 1 tsp turmeric powder
8. 1 tsp cumin powder
9. 2 tsp corriander powder
10. 1 tbsp of tamarind juice(from a cherry tomato sized tamarind) + 4 tbsp of water
11. seasonings cumin,mustard and curry leaves
12. 1 tsp of oil
13. salt to taste
1. In a pressure pan heat the oil, add the cumin, curry leaves and mustard seeds when the seeds start to pop
2. Add the onions and saute till they start to turn translucent add the chopped garlic and saute for a minute, reduce the heat to just below medium.
3. Add the powders and mix well
4. Add the cut brinjal and brussel sprouts pieces and saute for a few more minutes, add the potatoes saute, add salt, tamarind juice and sprinkle water(not too much water but enough to keep from burning)
5. Close the pressure pan, add the weight and cook for 2 sounds.
6. When it cools mash the brinjals slightly with a back of the spoon.
Curry ready to be served with rice or chappathis.