I felt like eating some brinjal curry but also wanted to add spinach and had a few brussel sprouts and so was born the brinjal,spinach and brussel sprouts curry. The Curry turned out pretty good and tasty and went well with chappathis. This is also another way of adding more greens to the diet which I am trying hard to do.
1. 6-8 small Indian brinjals, each slit into 4 but with the stem intact.
2. 1 1/2 cups of spinach(or any greens) washed and chopped
3. 4-5 brussel sprouts chopped (substitue with a cup of cabbage)
4. 1/2 red onion chopped.
5. seasonings, cumin, mustard, asfoetida, curry leaves
6. 1 tsp oil
7. 1 tsp turmeric powder
8. 2 tbsp of tamarind juice
For the paste
1. 1/2 red onion
2. 2 tbsp corriander seeds
3. 2 tsp cumin
4. 1 tsp pepper
5. 3 red chillies (seeded and broken in half)
Dry the roast ingredients 2-5 and saute the onions till brown with a little bit of oil and blend to a paste.
1. In a Kadai or pan heat oil add the seasonings and when the mustard starts to pop add the onions and saute till translucent
2. Add the cut brinjals and saute till the outside starts to turn slightly brown, add the brussel sprouts, saute a little bit, add the spinach and turmeric and mix well.
3. Add the ground paste and tamarind juice and 1/2 cup of water, salt, mix well. (the amount of water added depends on how thick or watery you want the curry)
4. Cover the lid and cook till the brinjals are soft.
5. Open the lid and cook for a few more minutes.