Cabbage Channa dal fry is something which I learnt from my MIL. Amma usually makes cabbage fry with the onion-tomato masala and the twist with the channa dal gives crunchiness to the cabbage fry. You need to careful while cooking with the dal. If it doesn’t cooks properly it will spoil the entire taste of the dish. Take care to cook the dal properly. I used my microwave oven to make it easy for cooking. Use ur kadai with a cup of water to cook the dal, if u don’t have microwave oven at home. I served it with More kuzhambu/Moor Kuzhambu.
Preparation time: less than 5mins
Cooking time: 10-15 mins
1 small onion
1 cup finely chopped cabbage
1 tsp chana dal
1 tsp chilli powder
1- ½ tsp coriander powder
½ tsp turmeric powder
Salt (to taste)
¾ tsp mustard seeds
Coriander leaves (to garnish)
How to make it
- Wash and soak chana dal in a cup of water for 15 mins and microwave for 1-2 mins.
- Temper mustard seeds in a pan with 1-2 tsp of oil. If u has curry leaves throw few into the pan.
- Once it splutters add the finely chopped onions and sauté for a while.
- Turn the onions to transparent and add the tomatoes. Cook till it goes gooey.
- Now add the finely chopped cabbage to the onion-tomato and mix it well.
- Add the spice powders now- chilli powder,turmeric powder, coriander powder and salt.
- Sprinkle some water (since cabbage doesn’t require more water, just sprinkle it) cook by covering with the lid.
- Allow the cabbage to cook for some time. When it is ¾th done add the pre-cooked channa dal.
- Cook further till the moisture leaves.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with steamed rice.