I always love to make kootu. It can be made in just 10 mins or so. Amma gave a simplest recipe for making kootu. Put all the ingredients in a pressure cooker and finally temper it… the kootu is already in mins. I love to have it with plain rice, chapathi and dosai. This kootu will make u addictive when it is had with any kuzhambu along with pappad and steamed rice topped with ghee. I served it with karamani kuzhambu (Recipe Coming Soon) and steamed rice. Hummm!!! Delicious..
Check out other recipe for kootu.
1 small onion
1 small tomato
1-2 green chillies
2 garlic cloves
½ tsp sambar powder
¼ cup moong dal
1-2 tsp grated coconut
Coriander leaves (to garnish)
1 tsp coconut oil
½ tsp mustard seeds
1 sprig curry leaves
1-2 red chillies
Generous pinch of asafetida
How to make it
- Peel the skin of chayote and make it into small cubes. Chop onions and tomatoes. Slit the green chillies.
- Wash and soak moong dal in a cup of water for 10 minutes.
- In a pressure cooker add onions,tomatoes, green chillies, garlic, chayote.
- Also add the soaked moong dal along with the water. Add sambar powder and salt. Mix it well.
- Pressure-cook it for 1-2 whistles and switch off the stove. Add the grated coconut and mix well.
- Temper the items given in a separate pan and add to the kootu.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
- Chayote will leave water by itself. So add water accordingly.