1 big finely chopped onion
2-3 tsp oil
Coriander leaves (to garnish)
Chicken ½ kg
1 tsp chilli powder
1 ½ tsp coriander powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
Salt (to taste)
½ tsp lemon juice
To sauté and grind
1 tsp pepper corns
¼ tsp cumin seeds
½ fennel seeds
1 ¼ tsp grated coconut
1 inch cinnamon sticks
Curry leaves (optional)
How to make it
- Cut the chicken pieces into small cubes. Wash and rinse with pinch of turmeric powder.
- Marinate the chicken with the ingredients given above. Keep for 1-2 hours.
- In a pan add 1-2 drops of oil and saute the items given. Cool and grind into a smooth paste either in a blender or using a mortar and pestle. I used mortar and pestle to enhance the flavor, but it’s a time consuming step.
- In a wok heat oil and temper the items and saute the onions till translucent.
- Add the marinated chicken pieces and allow it to cook for some time. Chicken while cooking will tend to shed some moisture. Let it cook with that moisture for 5 minutes in medium flame.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes and cook covered for another 5 minutes in low flame.
- Sprinkle some water to cook the chicken further.
- Finally add the ground paste. Fry till the consistency reaches.
- Add some more oil to avoid sticking of chicken to the pan.
- Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot.