I was not a huge fan of deep fried items… and I rarely take this Chicken 65 whenever I visit a restaurant. On the other side TH, a chicken addictive always order this and makes me to taste. After marriage I came to see a street food shop which serves chicken 65 with Idyappam!!! Weird right… even I gave the same look to that… TH insisted me to taste that once, since he loves it… though it was full of oil and lots of red food colors in it, I loved the taste and also the combination of chicken with ldyappam. That weird combo makes to go drool… *slurp*
After coming to US, we miss the shop and the combinations of idyappam with that. TH started to crave for Chicken 65 these days and I tried at home. It was super soft inside and crisper on the outer. I dint add food color to make it more attractive, hence the color differences. I served it with Chicken Manchurian and with Chicken Fried Rice.
Preparation time: 1-2 hours
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Chicken breast ½ kg
2tsp Corn flour
1tsp rice flour
½ tsp lemon juice
2tsp ginger garlic paste
2 tsp chilli powder
3 tsp coriander powder
1tsp turmeric powder
3-4 tsp thick yogurt/curd
Salt (to taste)
Oil (for deep frying)
Pinch of Red food color (optional)
Raw onions (few slices)
Roasted curry leaves
How to make it
- Wash the chicken breast and chop into equal cubes. Drain the water completely and pat dry them in a tissue.
- In a mixing bowl add all the ingredients given (except oil). Make it like a paste and add the chicken cubes to it.
- Check for the spiciness and salt level. Add if u needs more. Marinate the chicken breast for 1-2 hour in refrigerator or keep in overnight.
- In a skillet/kadai heat enough of oil for deep frying the chicken cubes. Once the oil is hot enough, add the chicken cubes one-by-one and deep fry them till it turns golden brown in color.
- You can use the same oil to roast the curry leaves for serving too.
- Drain the excess oil with tissue/kitchen napkin and serve hot.
- Garnish the chicken with the curry leaves and accompany it with few slices of onions and squeeze lemon on top.