I am pleased with myself is for trying out the Chettinad Chicken Recipe. I always make the Chettinad Fish Curry but have never tried this one. KrishnaArjuna had requested a recipe for Chicken Chettinad and it was time for me to hunt a recipe down and try it out. Thanks KA I am glad I did, this is going to be a regular from now on. I am from Kongu Nadu and not from Chettinad so this not an authentic recipe. I know the dishes from the Chettinad area are very spicy and hot, I have tweaked to keep the heat down and kid friendly.If anyone reading this is from the Chettinad region and have an authentic recipe, please free to post it in the comment section.
1. 1 1/2 lbs Chicken Thighs (with bones) and cut into pieces
2. 1 Large Red Onion chopped
3. 2 Juicy red tomatoes chopped
4. 1 tbsp Tomato paste
5. 2 tbsp lemon juice
6. 2 tbsp Chilli powder (or to taste)
7. 1/2 tbsp turmeric powder
8. Curry leave 3-4 Sprigs
9. Seasonings – cumin, Star Anise
10. 2 tsp of oil
11. 1/4 cup chopped corriander leaves
Marinate the Chicken
Wash the chicken thoroughly with Turmeric powder, drain and marinate with 1 tbsp of chilli powder, salt and 1 tbsp of lemon juice for about an hour or so.
For the Paste
1. 2 tsp cumin
2. 1 tbsp corriander seeds
3. 1 tsp fennel seeds
4. 1 tsp of pepper
5. 3 cloves
6. 1 inch piece of cinnamon
7. 2 Red Chillies
8. 6-8 Garlic Cloves
9. 2 inch piece of ginger
10. 2 tbsp grated fresh coconut
In a pan heat a 1/4 tsp of oil and fry 1-7 and when they start to turn color add garlic and ginger and fry for a few minutes, add the coconut mix and remove from heat cool and blend to a smooth paste.
1. In a Pressure Pan/Cooker heat oil, add the cumin seeds and Star Anise and the curry leaves and saute.
2. Add the onions and saute till brown.
3. Add the chicken pieces and saute till they start to turn white
4. Now add the ground paste and mix well and let it cook for a minute or two.
5. Add the chopped Tomatoes and cook for another minute or 2.
6. Add the chilli powder, enough salt, lemon juice and enough water(1 Cup)
7. Add the tomato paste and sprinkle the corriander leaves
8a) Close the lid if using pressure cooker and cook for about 5 minutes (don’t wait for the whistle) switch it off.
8b) If not using pressure cooker cover the lid and cook for 10 -12 minutes or desired consistency. (step 9 not needed)
9. When cool mix the chicken and cook for a minute or 2.
Serve with Chappathis or Rice.
Tasted great with both rice and Chappathis. It was hot but the kids (daughter’s friend who is wary of spicy food) with their watering noses and all enjoyed the dish.