Chicken Gravy reminds me of those days when Chicken was the Sunday afternoon special and a good regional language on TV.
1. 2 lbs Chicken (thighs preferably) cut into pieces and washed with turmeric. Washing chicken with turmeric is beneficial because it is supposed to kill bacteria.
2. 1 big red onion chopped
3. 2 tomatoes diced
4. 4 garlic diced and 1/2 inch ginger grated
5. few sprigs of cilantro leaves chopped, few mint leaved chopped
6. 1/4 tbsp cumin powder
7 1 tbsp corriander powder
8. 1/2 tbsp Chicken Masala powder.
9. 1 tbsp Lemon juice
10. Seasoning: cumin,mustard, curry leaves
11. 4 nos green chillies (red chillies)
if you want it a little bit more spicy add
12. 1/2 tbsp of chilly powder
1. Pour oil in a pan and when hot season with cumin, curry leaves and mustard.
2. Add the onions and fry till they become translucent add the garlic and minced ginger and fry till they are cooked
3. Add the tomatoes and chillies and fry till the tomatoes are soft.
4. Add all the powder and mix well.
5. Add the chopped mint and cilantro leaves.
6. Now add the drained chicken pieces fry for a few minutes, add salt.
7. Add the lemon juice, Cover the lid and cook the chicken for about 4-5 minutes.
8. Open the lid and continue frying till the gravy thickens. The chicken must be cooked at this point so the frying you do beyond this point is to thicken the gravy to the desired consistency.
This chicken goes well with rice or as a side dish for chappathi or naan.