The world did not come to an end and my mom is visiting, so I have time to try out a few recipes which have been on hold for a long time.
The friend who gave me this recipe and me were discussing about the end of world prediction set for May 21. The deal was if we came out of it alright I’d take some chicken pickle for her. The recipe came from her mother after all so it is fair I take her some for taste?
I chanced upon this farm where I got really fresh chicken. Usually what is sold as fresh chicken in store is not not really fresh right? it could have been sitting in the store for quite a while. Fresh chicken is sure worth its price.
I had saved the breast meat for making the pickle but any part (bones and all) would work.
1. 3 cups of chicken cut into bite size pieces
2. 2 tbsp of grated ginger
3. 4 tbsp of finely chopped or crushed garlic
4. 2-4 tbsp of red chili powder
5. 1 tbsp of garam masala or chicken masla powder
6. 2 tsp of turmeric powder
7. 1/2 cup of oil (I used safflower oil)
8. 1/2 cup of lime juice
9. salt to taste
1. Wash the chicken well with turmeric powder drain and set aside
2. Boil the chicken with 1/2 tbsp ginger, 1 tbsp garlic, 3 tsp of chili powder, turmeric powder, salt (use just enough to partially cover the chicken (I needed to cook only for 8 minutes for the chicken to cook). Necessary to cook the chicken completely. Drain (use the juicy liquid for making some yummy rice and bean rice perhaps!)
3. In a heavy bottomed pan, heat the oil, add the garlic followed by the ginger and saute for 3-4 minutes
4. Add in the chicken and masala powder and let it cook for another 4-5 minutes
5. Add in the lime juice and let the mixture come to a boil
6. Continue to boil till the oil start to separate
7. Add the chili powder and salt if required and let it cook for a few more minutes
8. Cool and store in the refrigerator
Though my family ate the chicken like it were chicken curry till I reminded them it was pickle. Feel free to eat as you see fit.