Ridge Gourd is known by many other names. Ridge Gourd is known as
beerakaya in telugu. Ridge gourd is popular and eaten as a vegetable in Asia.
1. Ridge Gourd has excellent cooling properties.
2 Ridge Gourds/Beerakayalu/ Chineese okras
1 Red Chilly
1/2 tbs channa dal
1/2 tbs urad dal
1/2 tbs mustard
1/2 tbs cumin seeds
1/4 tbs turmeric
Salt to taste
Red chilly powder to taste
2 tbs Oil
4 -5 curry leaves
1. Wash and peel the ridge gourd skin and chop it into 1/2 inch pieces.
2. Chop the onions, tomatoes, garlic and green chillies.
3. Heat oil in a pan. Add channa dal, urad dal, mustard, cumin, red chilly
pieces. When mustard start splutter add curry leaves and fry for a min.
4. Add the chopped onions, garlic and green chillies fry till the onions turn into
light brown color.
5. Add the chopped tomatoes and fry till the tomatoes cook softly.
6. Add the ridge gourd pieces and mix well.
7. Add turmeric and salt. Cover to cook on medium flame for 10 min.
8. Finally add red chilly powder and cover to cook on medium flame for 5 min.
9. Ridge gourd curry is ready to serve with roti/chapathi /hot rice.