This is one of the easiest recipes which I make for chapathi. Soak the chana over night – grind the ingredients – cook with masalas and its done. That’s it!!! The most awesome side dish is ready.
Here I have a trick for getting the gravy with the right consistency. Some people get the gravy in a flowing consistency and some will get it very thick. And the trick to get it right is, just add the coarsely ground paste of the chick pea and u will get the gravy perfectly.
This can be served either with chapathi or poori. I make poori very rarely since it consumes lots and lots of oil. But once in a blue moon it is accepted. It tastes heaven with batura, when served along with sliced onions sprinkled on top of it.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time :15-20 minutes
1 ½ cups of chick pea/garbanzo beans/Bengal gram
½ tsp ginger-garlic paste
1 tsp chilli powder
1½ tsp coriander powder
½ tsp turmeric powder
¾ tsp garam masala/chana masala powder
2 cups of water
Coriander leaves (to garnish)
How to make it
- Soak the chick pea with 2-3 cups of water for 8 hours or overnight. Then pressure-cook it for 3-4 whistles with a pinch of salt.
- Take a handful of cooked chick pea and crush it in a blender coarsely. Keep aside.
- Separately grind onions and tomatoes into a smooth paste.
- In a wok heat oil and fry the onion-paste. Cook till the raw smell leaves.
- Follow adding ginger-garlic paste and cook further.
- Cook the mashed tomatoes for about 5-7 minutes.
- Now add the masalas (chilli powder,coriander powder and turmeric powder). Add water to it. Allow it to cook for some time.
- Once the water starts boiling, add the cooked chick pea to it. Mix well.
- Finally add the crushed chick pea and garam masala. Stir well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with roti/naan with some sliced onions sprinkled on top.
- Preserve the water which is used to cook the chick pea and use it in the gravy.
- I used garam masala and I don’t find any difference in the taste.
- Don’t grind the chick pea into a smooth paste and don’t ever add water for grinding.