Evenings are always busy but somedays are worse than others. With no mood to eat outside, being able to whip something quick is just the thing needed. Having idli/dosai batter ready is a blessing on such days. A minmal work tomato mashers or a quick sambhar and dinner is ready.
This solves the dinner problem but opens up a lunch problem. Not being fond of eating out and the time wasted in driving to get lunch means not able to leave on time and the snowballing effect is no fun. Like lemon rice, this flavored rice with idli podi is a nice one to have up your sleeve. Adding corn, green peas or some cooked black channa are all ways to make this a perfect one pot meal.
Make sure you cook the rice the previous day just before going to bed for a quick finish in the morning.
Moreover this is a dish that the whole family enjoys. The kids like anything with Podi. So 4 happy lunch boxes are ready in 15 minutes tops.
Corn and Rice Spiced with dal powder
1. 1 1/2 Cups of Basmati rice – cooked so that each grain is separate (add a few drops of oil to the water
2. 1 cup of frozen corn
3. 1/2 cup of chopped onions
4. 1 tsp of red chili powder or pepper powder
5. seasoning 2 tsp of split urad dal, mustard seeds and curry leaves
6. 2-3 heaped tbsp of Idli Podi
7. salt to taste
8. 3/4 – 1 tbsp of sesame oil
9. 1-2 tbsp of roasted unsalted peanuts
1. Cook and cool the Basmati rice
2. In a wide mouthed pan heat 1-2 tsp of oil, add the urad dal and when it starts to brown add the mustard seeds and when it pops add the curry leaves
3. Add the onions and saute till they are translucent and starting to brown
4. Add the corn, chili powder and salt, cover with a lid and cook for about 3-4 minutes till the corn is cooked and the water has completed evaporated
5.Add the rice and mix it in well
6.Now sprinkle the idli powder and drizzle in the sesame oil. Mix well so all the rice is well coated. Add salt after tasting
7.Sprinkle in the peanuts if using
Along with some potato chips a scrumptious lunch is ready.