This curry is actually a cross between a lentil and a curry, made with yoghurt and gram flour (besan) as its main ingredients. It has a delightful taste and is eaten almost every day as part of the thali meal. Its sour-sweet flavour is tinged with a hint of chilli. It is very thin in consistency and ideal to drink as a soup. Serves 6
2-1/2 cups whole milk yoghurt
5 tbsps gram flour (besan)
2 tsps chopped fresh ginger
1 tsp chopped green chilli
about 20 small ladyfingers (bhindi)
3 tbsps sugar
salt. 2 tbsps ghee or oil
1-1/2 tsps fenugreek seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
about 20 curry leaves
- Whisk the yoghurt and add the gram flour.
- Mix well with 4 cups water.
- Puree the ginger and chilli together.
- Wash the okra and trim the stems to minimum without cutting into the vegetable.
- Bring the yoghurt mixture to the boil in a cooking pot.
- Add the ginger and green chilli puree, the sugar, salt to taste (about 1 tbsp) and okra.
- Heat the ghee or oil in a ladle and fry the cloves, the fenugreek and cumin seeds, for 30 seconds, then remove from the heat and add the asafoetida.
- Immediately add the yoghurt mixture with the curry leaves.
- Cook for a total of 15-20 minutes or until the ladyfingers are tender. Instead of ladyfingers you can use of white radish cut into short pieces.
2nd Dahi kadhi ( punjabi recipe)
Dahi Ki Kadi
For the Bhajiyas:
3/4 tbsp besan (gram flour) 2 green chillies,chopped fine 1 pinch soda-bi -carb 2 pinches turmeric powder Oil for frying salt to taste
For the Kadi:
2 cups Beaten Curd 2 tbsp Besan 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder 1 tbsp Dry Khopra, desiccated, roasted and powdered fine 1 1/2 tsp Ginger-Garlic paste Salt to taste
For the Baghar:
2 tbsp Oil 2 broken Red Chillies 1/2 tsp Jeera A few Curry Leaves
- Mix all the ingredients.Add enough water to make a thick batter.Deep fry = the bhajiyas in hot oil and set aside.
- Mix the besan with the beaten curd. Add 2 cups water, Ginger-Garlic paste and turmeric powder. Blend well and sieve through a muslin cloth.
- Place the kadi over heat and add the roasted khopra as well as salt to taste. Stir and allow it to simmer.
- Heat oil and add jeera, allowing it to splutter. Add the red chillies and curry leaves. Pour the baghar over the kadi and then add the bhajiyas. Simmer for two minutes. Serve along with hot rice.