Dosakai: A cucmber that is yellow in colour, has a round shape and is available
in many parts of india. Commonly added in chutney, Sambar,Curry, Dal and
also making Dosa-avakaaya (a type of Indian pickle).
2. Have a very high water content and are know to have diuretic properties,
and thus help in improving the kidney and bladder diseases. Eating cucum-
bers regularly in summer months prevents dehydration.
3. Contains ascorbic acid(vitamin c) and caffeic acid, so when applied topically,
it soothes skin irritations, sunburns, reduces inflammation and rehydrates dry
4. Good source of silica, which is found in connective tissues like muscles,
tendons, ligaments,cartilage, and bone. Regular consumption of cucmber
improves the health and complexion of skin, and healthy hair.
5. Moderate source of vitamin c, a natural water soluble antioxidant. It enhances
the body’s immune system, increases the elasticity of skin and blood vessels,
and prevents bruising of the skin.
6. Moderate source of folic acid and vitamins A, which are essential for maintain-
ing a healthy heart and eye sight.
7. Good source of other minerals like calcium, iron, phosphorus, magnesium,
zinc and manganese, which play a very important role in maintaining proper
metabolic activities of the body.
8. Good source of potassium and very low in sodium. This helps in lowering
the blodd pressure.
9. Very good source of dietary fiber. It adds roughage to the contents of the
intestines, promotes satiety, promotes the health of the colon, and also helps
in relieving constipation, hemorrhoids, diverticular disorders, etc.
10. Raw cucumber juice also soothes heart burn and acidity, also helps to
control the eczema, arthritis, and gout.
1 large dosakaya / Indian Yellow Cucumber
3 green chillies
5 curry leaves
2 tbs oil
1/2 tbs channa dal
1/2 tbs urad dal
1/2 tbs mustards
1/2 tbs cumin seeds
salt to taste
1/4 tbs turmeric
coriander leaves (optional)
1. Peel Dosakaya and slice it into half. (Check the seeds and flesh for any bitter
taste. If the flesh is bitter, discard the dosakaya. ,If the seeds have bitter taste,
remove all the seeds and wash with water.)
2.cut into small bite sizes pieces.
3.Now chop onion and tomato and green chillies keep it aside.
4. Heat oil in a pan, add channa dal, urad dal, red chillies, cumin seeds, mustard.
5. when mustard start popping add curry leaves.
6. Add onions and green chillies and turmeric, wait till the onions become
light brown Colour.
7.Add tomatoes and dosakaya pieces, and salt. Mix well, cover to cook on
medium heat up to 15 min.
8. Finally add red Chilli powder,coriander leaves and mix well. Leave it