Making prawn biryani is very easy when compared to the mutton biryani and chicken biryani. Since prawns are lighter than the others it never gives a tummy-full feel. I already made prawn biryani and this time wanted to try with something new with prawns. So I tried frying the prawns separately and adding it to the biryani as like chicken 65 biryani.
You can shallow fry the prawns slowly till perfection or else u can even deep fry the prawns. I don’t want to use too much of oil, hence I shallow fried it in a tawa. If you don’t want the fried prawns, I do have another recipe for prawn biryani. Check here for the recipe.
Preparation time: 30mins
Cooking time: 20-30 mins
2 cups of basmathi rice
2 onions (thinly sliced)
2 medium tomatoes
3 green chillies
2tsp ginger garlic paste
1tsp red chilli powder
2tsp coriander powder
1tsp turmeric powder
¼ cup curd
Salt (to taste)
½ cup chopped mint leaves
½ cup coriander leaves (chopped)
1tsp red chilli powder
1tsp coriander powder
½ tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp ginger-garlic paste
1 tsp biryani masala (optional)
¼ tsp lemon juice
½ inch cinnamon stick
How to make it
- Wash the rice in running water and soak it with 3 cups of water for 15-20mins.
- Wash and clean the prawns. Never forget to devein the prawns. If needed add some turmeric powder to get rid of the smell. Drain water and keep aside.
- Make a paste of the marinade given above and add the prawns. Coat the masala with the prawns and keep refrigerated for half an hour.
- Take a skillet/kadai and heat 1tsp of oil. Add the marinated prawns and cook it the masala are completely fried. Set aside.
- In a deep pan heat oil+ghee and temper the items given. Now add the sliced onions and sauté till it turns light golden brown.
- Then add ginger garlic paste and green chillies and continue to sauté well.
- Follow adding mint and coriander leaves.
- Add the tomatoes and cook till mushy.
- Now add the spice powders and mix well. At this stage simmer the stove to avoid the masala from burning.
- Add curd and make a paste of this. Add salt and check for the spiciness.
- Now add the soaked rice along with the water and allow it cook on medium-high flame for 5mins.
- When the rice is half cooked, add the fried prawns and blend them well.
- Close the lid tightly and reduce the flame to low-medium. Let it cook for some more time.
- Open the lid and check if the rice is done. Fluff with fork carefully.
- Serve hot with raitha.