The trick is to not thaw the okra and add it directly to the pan to cook. Never cook okra without lemon juice or amchur powder. Yogurt or even tamarind pulp works. They all help in reducing the slime. I do not know the science behind it but it works.
Frozen Okra Stir Fry
1. 1lb Cut frozen okra
2. 1/2 cup onions sliced
3. 1/2 tbsp sambhar or red chili powder + 1 tsp turmeric powder
4. 2 broken dried red chilies
5. 1 tbsp lemon juice or 2 tsp amchur powder
6. seasonings: curry leaves, cumin seeds, mustard seeds
7. salt to taste
8. 2 tsp of oil
1. In a wide mouthed pan, heat the oil and add the seasonings, when the mustard splutters add the red chilies and when it turns slightly black
2. Add the onions and saute for a few minutes till they are translucent
3. Now add the okra and let it cook covered for 4-5 minutes till the okra pieces are separate
4. Open the lid add the lemon juice or amchur powder, turmeric powder and sambhar powder and saute for a few minutes
5. Close the lid again and let the okra get fully cooked. Open and stir gently occasionally to avoid sticking to the bottom
6. Open the lid and saute till the desired texture is obtained
We like it a little bit soft but if you like it crunchier saute a bit longer.
Lemon juice, amchur powder, tamarind pulp or even yogurt all help in reducing the slime. They generally add some tartness so use accordingly.
Serve as a side for soft chapatis or any rice dish.