Breakfast is the supposed to be the most important meal of the day. But lot of us just grab a bite while heading out the door. I read somewhere that you have to eat Breakfast like a King, Lunch like a Prince and Dinner like a pauper. But it is usually the reverse for many of us. Breakfast does not have to be an elaborate affair, quick and nutritious and easy is this recipe. I usually buy Baby Oats from Lancaster Dutch Market. This is a wonderful market where you have several different stores owned and operated by different Amish families. Fresh baked goodies, fried chicken and other grocery and Pantry items can be purchased here as well.
Oatmeal with Fruits and Nuts (Serving for one)
1. 1/4 – 1/2 cup of baby oatmeal (any oatmeal would do)
2. 1 Cup of milk, 1/4 cup water
3. 1 tbsp brown sugar
4. 1 tbsp of chopped nuts (I used pecans)
5. 1 tbsp of raisins
6. Fresh fruit 1/2 cup
Method1. In a saucepan heat the milk and water, when it is warm add the oatmeal, mix reduce the heat to medium.
2. Add the nuts and raisins and the sugar
3. When the oats are swollen and plump remove from heat. I like the oatmeal not too dry so the amount of milk you add depends on the texture you prefer.
4. Top with fresh cut fruits. Alternatively the fruits can be added when the raisins are added.
I prefer cooking oatmeal on a stovetop as opposed to a microwave because it tastes so much better.