Prep & cooking time: 20 to 30 minutes
1 cup of toor dhal
1 tsp tamarind paste
1 green chilly (optional)
2-3 garlic cloves
¼ tsp fenugreek seeds
1tsp sambar powder
½ tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp mustard
Few curry leaves
1-2 red chillies
How to make it
- Wash and soak toor dhal and fenugreek seeds together with 2 cups of water for about 20 minutes.
- Pressure-cook the soaked dhal along with sliced onions, chopped tomatoes and slit green chillies (if using). Add a drop of oil with this, also add garlic pods and turmeric powder along with this and cook for 2-3 whistles in medium flame. Allow it to cool for some time and mash the dhal slightly using a ladle.
- Add the tamarind paste and check for salt. Dilute it with little more water, if needed.
- Allow it to boil for another 5 minutes.
- Finally add sambar powder to the boiling gravy. Don’t allow to boil for long time after adding masala.
- Temper with the items given.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.
- Add any veggies of choice along with the dhal while cooking. I used drumsticks for most of my sambar recipes. Adding vegetables is completely optional.