KADALE KAALU CHUTNEY / HUMMUS
The monsoon season in Bangalore is heavenly. I feel like hibernating the whole day with a cozy rug pulled up over my feet. A book in hand and a good supply of delicious snacks is all that is needed to celebrate the season. Roasted papads or grilled vegetables with a bowl of healthy and filling Kadale Kaalu Chutney/Hummus are ‘any time’ snacks for this cold weather.
Chick peas/ Kadale Kaalu / Chana( soaked)- 1 cup
White sesame seeds – 4 tbsps
Onion – 1 medium size (Chopped)
Red chillies – 2
Tamarind – the size of a small marble ( Soaked)
Fresh coriander leaves – a fistful
Garlic cloves – 4 (Peeled)
Sesame oil – 2 tbsps
Salt – 1/2 tsp
1. Soak the Kadale Kaalu/ Chick peas/Chana overnight, and pressure cook without adding water.
2. Dry roast the sesame seeds and keep aside.
3. Heat oil in a pan and add the red chillies.
4. When the chillies turn crisp add the chopped onion and saute till it becomes transparent.
5. Grind together the cooked kadale kaalu/chick peas/chana, sauteed onion along with the oil and the red chillies, soaked tamarind, fresh coriander leaves, peeled garlic, salt and half of the roasted sesame seeds.
6. Add water little by little and blend the chutney until it becomes smooth and fluffy.
7. Scoop it out into a bowl and shower the remaining roasted sesame seeds over the chutney.
The tasty Kadale Kaalu Chutney/ Hummus with the crunch and flavour of roasted sesame seeds is an ideal dip for your monsoon snacks. Relish it with soft and steaming hot rice for a full meal.