(Home style )
Khatta Chana is a very popular dish in North Indian Punjabi cuisine, it is a high protein content, khatta chana is always a sort after dish with the young and can be soured with tamarind amchoor etc.
Chick Peas(Kabuli Chana)soaked overnight 2 cups
Salt to taste
Cumin seeds 2 tsp
Onions, grated 1 cup
Coriander powder 1 tbsp
Garam masala 1 tsp
Chilli powder 1 tsp
Turmeric (Haldi) ½ tsp
Tamarind (Imli) paste, thick 1 tbsp
Green chillies, slit 3-4 or to taste
Tomatoes sliced 1 no.
Channa masala 1 tbsp
Coriander leaves (Hara Dhania) for garnish ½ bunch
- Drain the channa and cook till tender, in fresh water, along with the salt. Drain and keep the water and channa separate.
- Soak tamarind in water and strain pulp, and keep aside.
- Dry roast the zeera in a saucepan till they splutter, add oil and then add onions, ginger garlic paste, stir- fry till they are dark brown, keeping the heat on low flame for stirring. You will have to sprinkle water a few times to avoid scotching.
- Add the dhaniya powder, garam masala, chilli powder, chana masala and haldi, stir a few minutes then add the green chillies. Mix well and add the channa and turn around for about ½ a minute. measure the liquid of the channa, add enough water to measure up to 2 cups and add to the mixture.
- Add the chopped mint and bring to a boil and then simmer for about 15 minutes, or till well blended.
- Add the lime, and serve hot, garnished with the hara dhania
- Having it with bread, Bhatura or kulcha.
Tags : Khatta Channa recipe, Punjabi Indian Chickpeas Dish, Khatta Meetha Chana Masala, Khatta Meeta Choley recipe, Indian Khatta channa recipe, How to make khatta channa recipe.