have harmful chemicals to grow it big, so go for smaller ones.
Just taste little bit before use of lauki. If it bitter don’t use that.
Lauki is known by many names in different regions:
Lauki is known as Sorakaya/Anapakaya in telugu Suraikai in Tamil
and Charanga/Churaykka in Malayalam and Doodhi in Hindi and Dudhi in
Below are the few benefits of lauki:
1. It is 96% water.
2. Excellent source of green nutrition.
3. Can easily be digested.
4. Very light on stomach.
5. 100 GM of lauki contains only 12 calories.
6. helps treating urinary problems.
7. Help to get rid of burning sensation in stomach.
8. Keeps you thin.
9. Does not increase fat in your body.
10. Very good for lever.
11. It can be cooked in many ways like Raita, Koftha, curry, Kheer, barfi,
12. Good for diabetes, High Blood Pressure & for all diseases.
13. There are no side effects.
14. Very good in digestion problems.
15. Helps in loosing weight quickly if you just eat boiled/cooked in steam
1 Cup of Moong dal
1 Cup of Lauki Pieces
3 – 4 Green chillies
2 tbs Oil
1/4 tbs turmeric
1/2 tbs Mustard
1/2 tbs Cumin seeds
2 Red Chillies
Coriander leaves for ganishing
Salt to taste
A pinch of hing
1. Peel the Lauki and slice it into half. Take out the seeds.
2. Cut it into 1 inch pieces.
3. Chop the green chillies and keep it aside.
4. Wash the dal and add lauki pieces and chopped green chillies.
5. Heat oil in a pan for tempering and add all the ingredients in order
like red chilly pieces, mustard, cumin seeds and hing and fry for 5 min.
6. Add the cooked dal and Lauki pieces and stir well.
7. Add salt, turmeric and rech chilly powder and combine well.
8. Add more water to desired consistancy and cook on low flame for 5 min.
9. Finally add chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
10. Lauki dal is ready to serve with hot rice or roti.