I was’nt too keen on doing grocery on a rainy wet day (but we needed the rain everything had a green film of pollen and the plants were starting to look brown). But I had my mint plants handy. Using the pressure cooker which makes cooking even faster. Now that it is spring if you want to go to the park for a picnic lunch this dish is great. Serve with zuchinni Raita and some baked potato chips.
1. Mint 2 bunches (save a few of the leaves for the rice the rest is for the paste)
2. 1 red onion (half onion chopped roughly for the paste, the other half cut lengthwise)
3. 3 garlic diced
4. 5 green chillies, slit (3 for the paste, 2 for the Rice)
5. tamarind small piece
6. 1/4 inch ginger
7. 1 cup Veggies (Lima beans, peas)
8. 2 cups Basmati Rice
9. Seasoning – mustard, cumin, cinnamon, clove, curry leaves.
10. Oil and a little bit ghee.
11. Chopped corriander leaves
12. Salt to taste
1. In the pressure cooker take a little oil, fry the onions and when it starts to cook and become translucent add garlic and ginger and 3 green chillies.
2. Add the mint leaves and fry a little bit.
3. Add the tamarind piece.
4. Cool and blend the mixture
1. Now in the cooker add a little oil and a little bit of ghee. I add oil sparingly but you can add according to your taste. The few drops of ghee give the food great aroma and taste.
2. Add all the seasonings and when the mustard splutters add the onion and fry till cooked and add the green chillies
3. Add the saved chopped mint leaves and corriander leaves
3. Now add the Veggies with salt and mix well
4. Add the Mint Paste and salt and mix well
5. Add the rice and mix well and cook for a little bit.
6. In a separate vessel bring the required water (about 3 cups for 2 cups of basmati rice) to a boil. Add the water to the rice and mix well.
7. Let the rice cook till most of the water is gone, like so…
8. Now close the cooker put the weight and cook on low medium for 4 minutes. DO NOT have to wait till you get the whistle doing so will overcook the rice.
If you do not want to do this in a cooker at this stage put it in a preheated (375F) for about 10 minutes. Check if rice is cooked and remove from the oven. If it is not done bake for another 5 minutes.
Just put a lid on the pot and keep in a low medium heat for 5-8 minutes till rice is cooked.
There the rice is ready in almost record time and serve with Zuchinni Raita