Mixed Beans with Poblano Peppers
I picked up the Pablano Peppers instead of the Green Bell Peppers because they looked fresher but now I am hooked I like their subtle spiciness more than the Bell Pepper sweetness. It added a whole new dimension to the Bean curry.
1. 3 Poblano Peppers deseeded and cut into strips.
2. 1 1/2 Cup Mixed Dry Beans (Green Peas, Norther Beans and Turtle Black Beans) soaked overnight and cooked for one whistle in a pressure cooker and drained.
3. 1 medium red onion chopped
4. 2 tbsp lemon juice
5. Seasonings curry leaves, cumin and mustard
7. 1tsp oil
1. 1 medium red onion (I used 1/2 red onion and 1/4 cup frozen small red onions)
2. 5 garlic cloves
3. 1 1/2″ ginger piece
4. 1/4 cup corriander leaves
5. 3 green chillies
6. 1 tsp cumin powder
7. 1 tbsp corriander powder
Saute the above and blend into a paste
1. Heat oil in a pan add the seasonings, cumin, curry leaves and mustard seeds
2. When the mustard starts to pop add the onions and fry till translucent
3. Add the poblano pepper strips and saute till they just start to change color
4. Add the cooked beans mix well.
5. Add the ground paste and about cup of water and salt
6. Cover the lid and cook for 5-8 minutes
Serve with brown rice or with chappathis.