- Chicken – 1 kg
- Eggs – 2 Nos.
- All purpose flour – 3 tbsp
- Chilli sauce – 3 tbsp
- Soya sauce – 3 tbsp
- Onion, sliced – 3 cups
- Green chillies – 7 Nos.
- Tomato sauce – According to taste
- Coriander leaves, chopped – handful
- Salt as required
- Oil for cooking
- Food color (optional)
Cut chicken into small pieces and wipe off excess water from it with a towel.
In a large deep bowl, beat the eggs. To this, add flour, whisk nicely. Now add chilli sauce, soya sauce, and salt. Whisk again thoroughly. If you have decided on adding food color, add it now. Combine chicken to this and marinate for 1 hour.
After one hour, in a frying pan, fry the chicken pieces.
After frying chicken, pass the remaining oil through a sieve. Now pour the oil back to the frying pan and start sauteeing the onions. when the onions are half sauteed, add green chillies and lightly saute them. At this stage, add chicken, tomato sauce, and coriander leaves and mix well. Cook for another 5 minutes in low flame and you are done with your chicken chilli.
Served best with fried rice or a bed of noodles.
- I have not used food coloring here, though the addition lends a beautiful sheen to the chicken pieces.
- The marinade will stain some chicken pieces black, but it doesn’t really disturb the taste.
- Addition of tomato sauce is up to you. I always end up adding a bit more of tomato sauce before serving as we all like sweetness in the dish.