It is fall now. Never know what to expect weather wise, earlier in the week it was 80F and felt like summer, by mid week it was 50F and felt like winter Phew…. This morning woke up to slow drizzling cold rain and overcast and gloomy skies. What to do you on such a day look to food ofcourse to brighten up the day.
Spicy onion chutney and hot idlis it was for breakfast. Usually back home onion chutney is made with small red onions but here though we get the small red onions frozen, it is never as tasty as using fresh onions. The big red onions work just as well.
1. Big Red Onion cut into chunks
2. 2 tbsp ural dal(or 1 tbsp channa dal)
3. 1/2 tsp cumin
4. 1/4 tsp pepper (increase or decrease as per taste)
5. 2 Red Chillies
6. 1/2″ piece tamarind
7/ 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1. In a pan dry roast urad,cumin,pepper, red chillies and tamarind till the dal turns slightly brown, transfer.
2. Add oil to the pan and saute the onions with the turmeric till they turn brown, add salt, towards the end add 4tbsp of water and boil for a few minutes(the water is to make blending easier)
3. Transfer to a blender and blend to a paste.
Serve with Idlis but will taste good with dosai or even Chappathis. Keep a bowl of yogurt because this is really spicy.