This is a one-pot lunch recipe which doesn’t need any side dish to compliment with. I like to have it plainly or with just pappad. You can get the satisfaction of getting carbohydrates and proteins together in a single scoop. I used to add green peas in this recipe which increases the taste and flavor. You can try with other veggies like carrots or beans or even soy chunks taste better along with this. I have given 2-3 green chillies which is spicy to my taste buds… adjust accordingly. Make sure u cook the rice into fine grains else the recipe will turn into a mess. Adjust the whistles ratio according to ur rice quality.
Preparation time: 15 mins (includes Soaking time)
Cooking time: 10 mins
1 cup raw rice
½ cup toor dal
2-3 green chillies
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1 tbsp mint leaves
½ tsp turmeric powder
Coriander leaves (to garnish)
1 inch cinnamon stick
1 bay leaf
How to make it
- Slice the onions straight wise. Slit the green chillies. Wash and soak toor dal in a cup of water for 15 mins. Soak rice in another cup of water for 15 mins.
- In a pressure cooker heat 1 tbsp of oil and sauté cinnamon, cloves and bay leaf.
- Add the sliced onions and green chillies and fry for some time till it turns transparent.
- Then add the ginger-garlic paste and sauté further.
- Add the chopped mint leaves and mix well. Now add the soaked toor dal without water and mix well.
- Add the soaked rice without water and mix along with the dal.
- Add 3 cups of water and add salt and turmeric powder. Check for salt and spiciness.
- Pressure cook for 1-2 whistles in medium flame and keep for 5 mins in low flame.
- When the pressure cools down, open up the lid slowly and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with any side dish of choice or simply pappad.
Linking this Recipe to: Cooking with Seeds Rice Event