This chutney is TH’s favorite one. I always used to prepare it when I was in Chennai. Its goes great with dosas as well as idlis. My mom makes coconut chutney with green chillies and also with red chillies. Sambhar along with this chutney for hot, super soft idlis makes a perfect combination for weekend breakfast. I made it with grated frozen coconut since I don’t get fresh and good coconut here.
TH adds sesame oil on top of it along with idli-milagai podi for dosa. I don’t have any idea how it taste. But he loves it. Since we are giving a quick fry it can be stored for 1-2 days.
1 Cup of grated coconut
4-5 red chillies
1tsp urad dal
½ inch of ginger
Marble sized tamarind
Pinch of hing/Asafoetida
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp urad dal
Few curry leaves
- Coat pan with few drops of oil and add urad dal. Once it becomes pale brown add red chillies and coconut.
- Just give a quick fry, switch off the stove. Then add ginger and tamarind to it.
- Cool for some time and grind in mixie as a smooth chutney with little of water. check for salt.
- Finally temper with the items given.
- Serve with idli and dosas.