Rutabaga or ‘Swede’ as it is called in England caught my attention when I first read about it in the Washington Post. Read the Rutabaga Wiki for more info. When cooked it tastes sweet and is similar to a butternut squash in texture. Rutabaga is a winter veggie or atleast I see them only during winter time in grocery stores. Last time my mother was here she made a Kootu with Kadalai paruppu (channa dal) but I did not have any Kadalai Paruppu so this is a slightly different recipe.
1. Rutabaga peeled and diced
2. 1/2 onion chopped
3. 1/2 tomato chopped
4. 3 garlic pods chopped
5. 2 tbsp tamarind (optional)
6. 1/4 cup toor dal + 1/4 moong dal pressure cooked
7. seasoning mustard, curry leaves
1. 2 tbsp grated fresh coconut
2. 4 green chillies
3. tsp of cumin
4. 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
blend to a paste (slightly coarse is good)
1. In a pan or pressure cooker , heat oil and add the seasonings and when the mustard starts to pop add the onions and saute till brown
2. Add the garlic and cook for a few minutes.
3. Add the rutabaga and cook for a few minutes, also add the tomato pieces, let it cook for a few more mibutes
4. Add the mashed dal, salt and the coconut paste and enough water(consistensy desired), mix
5. Put the lid on the cooker and cook for about 4-5 minutes
The reason I pressure cook for a second time is to cook the rutabaga. If you were do it on a stove top leave it covered for 10 -15 minutes.
Goes with rice or chappathis.