This is one of the recipes which I wanted to post for long time. Since today is varalakshmi viratham I thought I can post it today itself. Vermicelli payasam/semiya payasam is an easy and simple sweet which amma used to make for each and every festival at home. Everyone in my home loves it.
Indians have the habit of finishing off their meal with a sweet. The reason behind is, sweets help in digesting your food easily. So in every wedding feast there will be a sweet and most of the time it will be semiya payasam.
Vermicelli doesn’t require much time to cook. In this method we are roasting the vermicelli in ghee for few mins. So cook the vermicelli for just 3-4 mins in milk and allow it to stand for some time in the hot milk. This will cook the vermicelli further. Cooking for long time will turn the vermicelli to clump.
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
1 cup milk
1 cup water
½ cup vermicelli
½ cup sugar
Cashews and raisins (few)
How to make it
- Heat a pan with 1 tsp of ghee and fry cashews and raisins. Cashews should be fried till golden brown and raisin should fluff up. Keep aside.
- Add another 1 tsp of ghee to the same pan and roast vermicelli till light brown. Take care not to burn the vermicelli. It will take 1-2 mins to fry.
- In a sauce pan heat milk and water together. Allow it to boil and add sugar to it. Mix well.
- Powder the cardamom and add to the boiling milk.
- Once the milk starts to boil add the roasted vermicelli and stir well.
- Let it cook till the vermicelli turns transparent and soft.
- Switch off the flame and the roasted nuts.
- You can use condensed milk to enhance the flavor. In that case reduce the amount of sugar given and add the condensed milk accordingly.
- Amma use rose essence to enhance the taste and my MIL uses edible camphor. It is ur wish to add the ingredients.
- If the payasam turns thick after some time add some more milk/water and boil it for some time.