What do you do if you wanted to pack for lunch but besides a few old ildies
there were not many choices, my mother is visiting and she came
up with this tasty fare with those leftover idlies. I usually make Idli Upma with just onion and green chillies, mustard and curry leaves. This is a delicious variation with many possibilities and a complete meal.
1. 5-6 day old idlies crumbled and sprinkle a few drops of water
2. 1 Potato boiled till about 3/4 cooked and cut into cubess
Variation: mixture of green beans, carrots and peas
3. 1/4 red onion choppped fine
4. 3 cloves of garlic chopped fine
5. a smally piece of ginger grated
6. 2 green chillies slit
7. 1 red chilli broken in two seeds removed
8. 1 tsp of corriander powder
9. 1 tsp of sambhar powder
10. Curry leaves a few, mustard and urad dal
11. 1 tsp Oil
1. In a pan heat oil and add the urad dal when it starts to brown add the mustard seed when it starts to pop add the curry leaves.
2.Add the green chillies, red chilli and ginger and saute.
3.Add the onions and saute till translucent, then add the garlic and grated ginger.
4.Add the powder and required salt, saute till raw smell goes and then add a tbsp of water.
5.Now add the potatoes cover and cook till the potatoes are soft and water is evaported.
6. Add the crumbled idlies and mix well till it is coated with the masala.
This was a wonderful tasty treat for the afternoon lunch along with a cup of yogurt.