Variety Rice (Spicy Rice) is easy to prepare and tastes good. These dishes come handy when you want something quick. Briyani, Mint Rice, Tomato Rice all fall in this category. Thayir pachadi (raitha) is a good accompaniment. SInce most of these rice dishes tend to be dry, the thayir pachadi moistens it. Cooking in a Pressure cooker reduces the cooking considerably.
5 ripe tomatoes diced or canned cut tomatoes
1/2 Red Onion diced
garlic 4 diced
ginger 1/2 inch grated or finely diced
2 slit green chillies
1/2 tbsp corriander powder
1/4 tbsp cumin powder
1/2 tbsp red chilly powder
1/2 tbsp turmeric powder
1/2 cup (peas, corn) — optional
Rice – 2 cups (Basmati Rice) 1 cup rice 1 1/2 cups water
corriander leaves few sprigs chopped
seasonings – mustard, cumin, curry leaves
1. Pour oil in a cooker and heat oil, and season with mustard, cumin and curry leaves.
2. Add Onions saute till soft, add the garlic and ginger and saute for a few minutes
3. Add the tomatoes and fry till soft. Now add all the powders and mix well
4. If you are adding vegetables add them at this point with salt.
5. Add the washed rice and mix well.
6. Now add the water and cook till most of the water is gone and the rice is half cooked
7. Add the corriander leaves and a tbsp of ghee (optional)
8. Close the cooker add the weight. Cook for 5 minutes in low medium. Remove the cooker from the stove or the rice will continue to cook.
1. 2 Zucchini diced
2. 1/4 onion diced
3. 2 Red Chillies (whole)
4. 2 cups yogurt
1. Pour oil in a pan, season with mustard, cumin and the whole chillies.
2. Add the onions cook till soft.
3. Add the Zucchini pieces and cook for a few minutes.
4. Add Salt and set aside.
5. When it cools down add the yogurt and mix.