This tricoIor poriyal has three different colored veggies (carrots, beans and cabbage) and I have reserved this post for the Independence Day which we are celebrating today. Happy Independence Day to all the Indians !!!
1 tbsp chopped onions
1 green chilli
2 carrots (finely chopped)
¼ kg French beans
1 cup chopped cabbage
2tsp moong dal
1tbsp grated coconut
1 tps Oil
½ tsp mustard seeds
1tsp urad dal
¼ tsp channa dal
2-3 dry red chillies
Pinch of asafetida
How to make it
- Wash all the veggies and finely chop it and keep aside.
- Wash and soak the moong dal in a cup of water for 15 minutes and cook it till it turns soft.
- In a wok heat oil and temper the items given. Once the urad dal and chana dal turns light golden brown add the onions and sauté till it turns translucent.
- Throw the green chillies and sauté.
- Now add the chopped veggies one-by-one and mix well.
- Sprinkle some water to the veggies and allow it to cook further. Add salt at this stage and check for the spiciness.
- Cover with the lid and cook till the veggies turn soft.
- At this stage add the cooked moong dal and stir well.
- Switch off the flame and add the grated coconut to the veggies.
- Serve with steamed rice along with any kuzhambhu of choice.
Take care not to overcook moong dal. I used microwave oven to cook the dal. It took about 1-2 mins for me to cook.