Everybody loved the Briyani and the Potatoes. The Potatoes were spicier than I expected but they were the first to vanish. You have to give Indian dishes their credit they are always a big hit in a crowd and also a great converstation starter. It is no wonder that the Brits have almost adopted it as their own.
Considering how simple it is to make Briyani the taste is really amazing.
1. 2 Cups Mixed Vegetables (Carrots, potatoes, peas, lima beans, cauliflower)
2. 1 1/2 Red Onions sliced thin
3. 8 Green Chillies
4. 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste (saute the ginger and garlic(12 pods) 1 inch ginger in a little bit of oil and make a paste)
5. 1 Ripe Tomato finely diced
6. 1 1/2 Cups of Mint and Corriander leaves chopped
7. 2 tbsp roghly chopped cashews.
8. 2 tsp garam masala/ any masala powder
9. Seasoning, curry leaves, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaves, cardamom (few of each)
10. Oil 3 tsp, 3 tsp ghee
11. 2 1/2 Cups Rice washed. At this point also put 4 Cups of Water in a pan to boil
1. In a heavy bottom pan add oil and ghee and saute the seasonings for a few seconds
(meanwhile preheat the oven to 375F)
2. Add the Onions and saute till they turn brown. Add the green chillies and saute
3. Add the ginger garlic paste and saute for a few more minutes (if you are using raw ginger garlic paste saute till the raw smell goes)
4. Add the mint and Corriander leaves and saute till they wilt
5. Add the masala powder and mix well.
6. Add the tomatoes and saute till they turn soft and mushy
7. Now add all the vegetables except the Cauliflower and salt, cook for a few minutes
8. Now add the rice and mix it well in the spices.
9. Add the boiling hot water to the rice mixture. When the rice has been cooking for some time add the cauliflower, mix, cover the lid cook till the water is almost gone and the rice is about 3/4 done. Add a tsp of ghee on top.
10. Put the pan in the Oven and cook for 10 minutes. Remove mix the rice and put back in the oven for 8minutes.
Cook on the stove top for a few more minutes till the rice is completely cooked. If cooking is going to be done on the stove top keep the heat to low.
I took Cucumber/Carrot Raita because I was not sure if everyone would like the taste of raw onions.
I chose the potatoes because I could use the oven to cook both of them at the same time. Oven is preheated to 400F
1. 2-3 lbs Potates Cut even sized pieces like orange slices.
2. 4 tsp sambhar powder ( I like the taste of sambhar powder compared to just plain chilly powder)
3. 1 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder
4. Oil – 1 tbsp
1. Mix all of the spices and oil with the Potato slices
2. Take a sutiable size baking pan line with aluminium foil, spary oil and spread the potatoes.
3. First bake for 30minutes, remove turn them and bake for another 20 -30minutes depending on how crisp or soft you want it. It should be cooked the first 30-35 minutes.