Health benefits of sprouts:
minerals and proteins increase enormously. The same way carbohydrates
reduce to a certain percentage.
2. Once we soak them in water, 10% water increases in them(for sprouting).
As a result there is a greater chance for the increase in the nutritious value.
3. If you reason out why the sprouts are appreciated as the best food, it is
only because they have an increase of proteins which protect the body.
During the period of sprouting, the carbohydrates are separated very
minutely, and the seeds suck the nitrogen prevalent in the atmosphere
around. The carbohydrate is now changed into amino acids which can be
digested very easily. This is the reason why content of carbohydrate is
reduced more in the sprouts than in the dry seeds. So the proteins formed
thus are more easily digested than the proteins we get in other food items.
4. The sodium(salt percentage) helps in a quick digestion at stomach and at
small intestines. It also helps in driving out carbon dioxide in the body.
Since this sodium content enormously increased in the sprouts, this food
can easily be digested.
5. Vitamin ‘C’ content is very less in dry seeds and dry food material. But
when we soak the very same seeds in water, to give rise to sprouts, they
suck the atmospheic values. As a Result the percentage of ‘C’ vitamin is
vastly increased. Since vitamin ‘C’ is more in the sprouts, the proteins get
diffused quickly. also this vitamin ‘c’ hastens the movements of Iron in these
sprouts into blood from intestines.
6. When these sprouts are being formed the enzyme Amilaze available in them
converts the carbohydrates in them into easily digestable sugar in the form
of glucose or sucroze. The same way proteins are divided into amino acids
and amides. Due to the enzyme – lipaze. Since these changes take place only
when the seeds start sprouting, this type of food easens the task of digestion
for the intestines, thereby reducing the effort of the body.
7. It is but natural to have some gas(air) in the intestines. It is a healthy sign
too! Oligosaccarides produce this gas in the intestines. These Oligosaccarides
are present more in the dry seeds. These Oligosaccarides reduce to 90% when
the seeds are soaked and when they are developing sprouts.
8. These sprouts contain more of fibrous material which in turn enables a free
9. These sprouts by nature have more of water content as a result you don’t feel
thirsty while eating or after eating them.
1. You may doubt how much quantity of sprouts you should eat per day.
There is no prescribed quantity as such. It depends on you!
You can eat as much as you can. It is better to eat a larger quantity.
But of course if you are a beginner, you increase the quantity slowly,
day by day.
2. Other sprouted lentils can also be used in place of Channa.
1/2 cup kala Channa sprouts
1 layer lettuce
1 green chilly
1 tbs lemon juice
salt to taste
1. Wash and chop the tomato, lettuce, green chilly.
2. Now take the carrot and cucumber, Peel off the skin and grate nicely.
3. Steam cook the sprouts by sprinkling water and adding a pinch of salt.
4. Take a bowl and add cucumber,grated carrot,lettuce,tomato,cooked
sprouts,salt, green chilly and mix well.
5. Finally add the lemon juice and mix well.